Marijuana Lessons: Top Tips for Cannabis PackagingFebruary 11, 2019
From California to Canada the market for legal recreational marijuana is growing, which means the competition for cannabis companies is even tougher. Marketing cannabis can be incredibly challenging because of stringent regulations, but we’ve got you covered with marijuana packaging tips.
International Marijuana Marketing: Where is Weed Legal?
When designing cannabis packaging, it is important to refer to the local laws and packaging guidelines where your cannabis is sold. Since marijuana laws can differ from country to country and even state to state, you will likely need to consider different packaging designs for different markets. Weed is legal either for medicinal purposes in over 40 states now. However, recreational marijuana is only legal in select states, like California, Alaska, Washington State, and more.
North of the border, in Canada, consuming and selling both medical and recreational marijuana is fully legal as of October 2018.
Outside of North America, more nations are slowly legalizing weed – Peru and South Africa have recently legalized marijuana; whereas other nations like the Netherlands have decriminalized the plant.
To find more about where is weed legal click here.
Top Cannabis Packaging Tips
- Audit your competitors to ensure you’re designs are unique. Since the marijuana market is becoming crowded, you need to make your design stand out from the rest. Employ a distinct design, like Aurora’s all-black, sleek black matte design.
- Avoid colors and imagery that are alluring to children, such as cartoons or bright colors. Instead, opt for minimalist designs.
- Use child-resistant features. Since cannabis is a pharmaceutical product, make sure your packaging has child-resistant features, such as a special safety double closure, that’s tested according to product safety regulations.
- Use premium and durable materials, such a poly bags that are proven to keep products protected from external elements that can degrade the quality of cannabis. Consumers know how to spot quality cannabis in mere seconds, based on its color, smell and structure. Don’t lose consumers due to poor packaging, protect your product.
- Add extra value to your packaging with practical features, like Aurora’s custom molded storage box created to store cannabis paraphernalia, like glass pipes. Similarly, you can opt to create other small accessories to bundle with your packaging, like a card grinder.
- Promote your social channels and website on the packaging. Leverage the product’s packaging as a free marketing space to drive your clients to interact with you in multiple spaces.
Other factors to consider when designing cannabis packaging:
- Make all information clear and visible.
- At the minimum use 6-point font on packaging (in accordance with California’s labeling requirements for manufactured cannabis products).
- Highlight CBD and THC content on the primary panel of packaging.
Cannabidiol (CBD) and tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) are two natural compounds found in plants of the Cannabis genus.
CBD is found primarily in extractions from the hemp plant. It’s sold in gels, gummies, oils, supplements, extracts, and more.
THC is the main psychoactive compound in marijuana that gives the high sensation. It can be consumed by smoking marijuana. It’s also available in oils, edibles, tinctures, capsules, and more.
To read more about the Cannabis industry guidelines and packaging regulations click here.
While creating products in an emerging industry like cannabis can be challenging, as industry experts, we can help you elevate your brand’s packaging to drive world-class results. For more on how to craft premium cannabis packaging, contact The Unique Group at 905-479-4801.
Read more about creative packaging tips here: